Thursday, June 27, 2013

Research Meets Podcasts

It has been a while since I have blogged! A little too long if you ask me. But my absence is not a reflection of what I have not been doing but rather all that I have! With the close of the school year, comes state testing and evaluation of our gifted ed program- so to say the least it's been a busy Spring. Then to top it off, I had to teach for our district's enrichment program. (I couldn't help myself.) I love teaching this program because it gives me a time to test out some methods and projects that I normally don't get to try during the school year or like in this case, haven't tried in a while. Last year, I touched on some podcasts with some of my students but didn't get a chance to fully integrate them due to my lack of experience with them. I admit, I am a little weary of throwing tools at my students without trying them out myself, but this summer has taught me to do the opposite. This time around I took a leap with my basic skills and knowledge and jumped right in. And let me say, I am not at all disappointed!

This year I was assigned as the Activity teacher for our program and decided to focus on exploring one tool and creating a product with that tool. Because I only saw my students for twice a week for 30 minutes, I had to select a tool that would be fairly easy to use yet open enough to allow for creativity. I choose podcasts and narrowed their final product to a talk show where they would interview other scientists. So after a hands-on tutorial of the basic functions of a Macbook and Garageband, I had my students research some careers in Science (since the program's theme was around Science). As they researched, I had them think of their information as an interview. Instead of just locating random facts or even worse, creating questions that they could not find the answers to, they summarized their information and compiled interview questions as they were researching.

Next, they were given a storyboard to take notes on some conversational pieces to add, what questions/responses were to be used, and what media would be inserted in their final podcast (i.e. theme music, sound effects). At first, my students were not sure why they needed more than 3 questions to include in their interview, but soon realized how quickly they went through their questions once what was written was transferred into speaking. They had the most fun recording themselves and inserting their jingles and sound effects. The best part however, was seeing their reactions as they listened to their final products. Another reason why I love this tool-it captured my students' personalities the best. I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as we enjoyed making them!


To create your own storyboard, click here.

For some career research resources, click here.

For free stock images go to: MorgueFile and Ookaboo





6 comments:

  1. Hello, I am stopping by from the EDM310 class again. I loved watching the and listening to the videos made by your students. Your posts are so inspiring and creative. I like the point you made about trying the tools out before teaching them to your students. Also, I love how you wrote about the students' experiences with inserting their own music and voices into their podcasts. One question I have just out of curiosity is, do your students keep their own blogs as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla,

      Thanks for stopping by again! Our students enjoyed making podcasts and they are definitely something I will be integrating into my gifted classroom. To answer your question. . . we have a class blog where I share any projects and special events but also give my students the opportunity to write posts. I have a few students who have approached me about writing posts and I am happy they are initiating this! Feel free to check it out and leave my rocketeers a comment at:http://reachrocketeers.blogspot.com/

      Elle

      Delete
  2. Hello! My name is Katlyn Lusker and I am a student at The University of South Alabama. I'm going to school because I want to become an elementary teacher one day. I am currently taking a course called EDM 310 which is a micro-computing systems class for future teachers. During the first week of this class I was overwhelmed by realizing how much technology is being used in the classrooms now. I didn't realize the importance of using different types of technology in classrooms until this class honestly. I have already learned so much in this class. We learned about podcast's last week, and I'm so glad we did. I felt a sense of relief when you said "I admit, I am a little weary of throwing tools at my students without trying them out myself, but this summer has taught me to do the opposite." I also felt relieved when you said "This time around I took a leap with my basic skills and knowledge and jumped right in." You sound like a wonderful teacher, one that will try anything for her students. I want to be the same kind of teacher as you. I don't want to let my fear of not knowing how things work to keep me from trying new things with my future students. You have encouraged me to jump right in to things that could have a very positive outcome on my students. I loved your student's videos, and it sounds like they had a lot of fun making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katlyn,

      Thanks for stopping by! I have to admit that I was a bit unsure of using podcasts in the beginning. However, I have learned that students will catch on pretty quickly and even teach us a thing or two. I am now more confident in myself when it comes to certain tools and trust that my students are capable of not only learning alongside me, but also problem solving throughout the process. With this mindset, we are free to explore and use trial and error without feeling like we have to be experts. I look forward to introducing more tools throughout the year and hope that my students use these to guide their thinking as well as demonstrate their learning. It's been a journey and I wouldn't trade it for anything else!

      Elle

      Delete
  3. Hi Elvira,
    My name is Briann Smith and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I’m majoring in Elementary Education and I’m currently taking the EDM 310 class with Dr. Strange. In the EDM310 class we are learning about the different types of technology and resources that are being used in the classrooms today. I really enjoyed reading your blog post on the Podcasts. A few weeks ago in EDM310, we learned about Podcasts and we created some too. It was great to see how a teacher introduced the technology of Podcasts in a lesson and assignment for the students. I loved how you incorporated a hands-on activity like making Podcasts with a Science lesson. When I become a teacher I definitely want to incorporate the use of technology in my classroom and allow my students to create projects using it. I enjoyed listening to your student’s Podcasts. They did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briann,

      I absolutely love podcasts and used them last week for a novel unit on Tuck Everlasting. My students had a journal prompt where they had to create an interview to get to the bottom of a rumor that a family lived forever. I decided that was the perfect opportunity to incorporate podcasts and boy were they so happy I did! They loved the background music and sound effects, but nothing beats the level of engagement I saw during that class period. I highly recommend you use them in your future classroom. I hope this post has give you some tools and resources to get started.

      Thanks for stopping by,

      Elle

      Delete